We wanted to take this opportunity to welcome you, as family members of a first time college student (also known as first generation college student), to the U of M community. You are an important part of your student’s experience and we look forward to having you as part of the Gopher family. As a family member of an incoming Gopher, you are part of the UofM community, too. As this may be your first experience navigating a university environment, we want to include you as a member of our Gopher family.
We invite you to join us at our Families First event on Wednesday, August 30th at the TCF Bank Stadium.
This exciting evening will include:
- Connecting with other families of first generation students
- Networking with university staff and students who are and who work with first generation students
- A panel of experienced students and staff ready to share with you some of the in’s and out’s of experiencing the university for the first time
- The unique opportunity to listen and watch as the incoming students attend Pride & Spirit, a special U of M tradition
- Watching your student participate in one of the UofM’s significant first-year traditions
- And of course, mingling, refreshments, and delicious appetizers!
Frequently Asked Questions:
What is a first generation college student?
A first-generation college student is defined as a student whose parent(s)/legal guardian(s) have not completed a bachelor's degree. This means that your student is the first in your family to attend a four-year college/university to attain a bachelor's degree. This event is exclusively for families of first generation college students.
Where does the event take place?
This event will take place at the Indoor Club Room at TCF Bank Stadium.
What about parking?
Please park at the Maroon Lot. Each family will recieve 1 parking voucher for free parking.
This sounds great, I'm in! How do I register?
To register for this event, please check your email for a “Families First” link. Feel free to email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or call us at 612-626-8770 with any questions.
Hope to see you soon!
The Parent & Family Program
Feel free to contact us at any time.
Meaghan Miller Thul,
Parent & Family Program