Our annual Families First event welcomes family members of first-time college students (also known as first-generation students**), to the U of M community. You are an important part of your student’s experience and we look forward to having you as part of the Gopher family. As this may be your first experience navigating a university environment, we want to include you as a member of our Gopher family.
On Wednesday, September 1st, we look forward to families of first-generation students who began at the University in 2020 and those who will begin in 2021.
**This event is exclusively for families of students who are the first in their family to attend a four-year college/university to attain a bachelor's degree.
This exciting evening includes:
- Connecting with other families of first-generation students
- Networking with university staff and students who are and who work with first generation students
- A panel of experienced students and staff ready to share with you some of the in’s and out’s of experiencing the university for the first time
- The unique opportunity to listen and watch as the incoming students attend Pride & Spirit, a special U of M tradition
- Watching your student participate in one of the University’s significant first-year traditions
- And of course, mingling, refreshments, and snacks!
Frequently Asked Questions:
What is a first generation college student?
A first-generation college student is defined as a student whose parent(s)/legal guardian(s) have not completed a bachelor's degree. This means that your student is the first in your family to attend a four-year college/university to attain a bachelor's degree. This event is exclusively for families of first-generation college students.